There is a great deal of talk about the tiny house movement. A growing number of people are realizing that making their home out of a travel trailer is an affordable route to home ownership. From living in an actual tiny house on wheels to a travel trailer with all of the comforts of home, it is important that you do your homework before you decide to move into one in your RV or travel trailer.
The main thing that you need to consider is propane versus electric. Since many travel trailers come equipped with propane connections, you need to make sure that you have a carbon monoxide detector.
I personally live in a travel trailer that I have converted to my full time home. However, I disabled the propane connections to go with electric. It is much safer than propane.
For those that do use propane, and with temperatures dropping this winter, furnace heating systems are starting to run daily. With the use of your furnace heating system a colorless, odorless, tasteless enemy has begun to lurk in your home throughout the area. Carbon monoxide (CO) is a gas produced during the combustion of fuels. CO can build up indoors and poison people and animals who breathe it, claiming the lives of hundreds and making thousands more ill every year. Portable generators and charcoal grills are examples of two other household items that produce carbon monoxide. Below are steps to combat the CO enemy and keep your family safe:
- Keep heating equipment in good repair by scheduling regular inspection and maintenance. Cracks, leaks and other malfunctions in your heating system can cause carbon monoxide to develop and accumulate.
- Keep furnaces, chimneys and vents free of obstruction. Watch out for birds, squirrels and other animals who sometimes build nests in these areas.
- If you use an older gas stove or heater, look at the color of the pilot light. The flame should be at least 80 percent blue. If the flame is mostly yellow, it could be producing carbon monoxide, have the unit checked by a Comfort Pro technician immediately.
- Install batteryoperated or battery back-up carbon monoxide detectors near every sleeping area in your home. CO detectors are available at any home supply store.
- Check your CO detectors regularly to be sure they are functioning properly. If the detector sounds leave your home immediately and call 911.
- Never use a generator inside your home or garage, even if doors and windows are open. Only use generators outside, more than 20 feet away from your home, doors and windows.
- Short-term exposure to carbon monoxide usually results in flulike symptoms: nausea, headaches, dizziness, fatigue. Long-term exposure can eventually lead to unconsciousness or death. Seek prompt medical attention if you suspect CO poisoning
Whether you use propane to run your furnace, or electric to run your air conditioner, having these in optimal condition is a necessity in Florida. When it breaks down, know that you will have an honest and affordable air conditioner repair technician that you can trust at your fingertips. Let’s make sure that running in optimal condition, by contacting Romark A/C & Plumbing today to schedule your A/C tune up today.
If you like this article and need fresh content for your website, visit us at www.gmmcreative.com for our blog writing services.