Summer time is right around the corner. Well, it already feels summer over here in West Palm Beach. With this increase in temperatures, homeowners need to know there’s more to summer home maintenance than making sure the lawn is cut every week, and the flower beds are cleaned up. You need to make sure that your air conditioner is running at peak performance. The worst thing that can happen is for your air conditioner to stop working when the feels like temperature outside is over 100 degrees.
To maintain your sanity during the hot summer months, you need to maintain proper care of your cooling equipment so it can keep your unit running efficiently. This will save you money and helps avoid costly repairs. Now is the time to make sure your cooling system in your home will keep you cool without wasting your money.
Keep your cool this summer with this list of energy-wise suggestions:
- Set the thermostat as high as is comfortable. Generally, our bodies are most comfortable when the air inside of our home is within a degree or two of a steady 75 degrees F during the hot, summer months. Keep your house warmer than normal when you are away, and lower the thermostat setting to 78°F (26°C) only when you are at home and need cooling.
- Ceiling or portable fans help circulate cool air in the house – you won’t need to set the central air as low to feel comfortable. These should be cleaned at least once a week.
- Reduce clutter in the attic to maintain proper ventilation and reduce the system’s cooling load.
- Trim brush and shrubbery near outdoor units to prevent airflow obstruction.
- Remove grass clippings, leaves and other debris from the outdoor coil.
- Ensure that the central air conditioning unit is serviced each year for maximum efficiency and performance. Ask your Romark AC & Plumbing technician about our twice a year AC tune up. It’s only $69 every 6 months.
- Wash down the outdoor air conditioners coils. Spray the coils down with Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner. Let the Simple Green sit 10-15 minutes (without allowing it to dry) to penetrate heavier dirt, dust and grime build-up. Rinse and dry your A/C. Clear away any remaining residue. Dry with a clean cloth.
- Consider replacing an older central A/C unit. In general, you can expect a well-maintained air conditioner to last for about 15 years. However, if you’re in need of expensive repairs and your air conditioner is more than 10 years old, it will often make more sense to replace it. Your Romark AC & Plumbing technician will be able to diagnose and recommend if you should replace your old AC unit. If you do need to replace, we do have financing available.
- Is your air conditioner the right size for your home? Assuming the minimum cooling capacity of 400 square feet per ton for your HVAC unit, a 1600 square foot home will require 4.0 tons of air conditioning to cool. Your HVAC unit will need to remove about 4.0 x 12,000 BTUs, or 48,000 BTUs, per hour to keep your home cool. Ask your Romark AC & Plumbing technician to determine what is the right size unit for your home.
- Should I convert to a mini-split AC? While central air conditioning is common in the United States, the ductless or mini-split systems are becoming increasingly more popular. Both systems have an indoor compressor or condenser and an indoor unit. Ductless systems can have more than one indoor unit and a small conduit connects the components instead of ductwork. Ask your Romark AC & Plumbing technician if a ductless mini-split is right for you.
It’s important to realize that operating a dirty unit can cause an unnecessary loss of efficiency and can damage the unit. A few minor steps are a small price to pay for the high efficiency, which means lower energy bills and improved total comfort.
A licensed AC repair technician will be able to handle major maintenance tasks. However, there are a few things that homeowners can do themselves to ensure their air conditioners are running properly. The first step is to have a licensed and reputable AC technician in your phone that you can call at a moments notice.
Romark AC & Plumbing has more than 20 years of experience in the heating, ventilation and air conditioning business and is ready to provide you with exceptional service and complete home comfort solutions. By providing Palm Beach County businesses and residents with HONEST, QUALITY, and AFFORDABLE service with prices that will not break the bank, Romark AC & Plumbing is welcome in more homes in all of Palm Beach county. We invite you to give us a call at 561.758.9022 to schedule an appointment.
If you like this article and need fresh content for your website, visit us at www.gmmcreative.com for our blog writing services.